Monday, April 4, 2016

Rough Theater

6x1 has taught me a lot about rough theater- from the projects assigned to working with groups or partner. The more I try to control the end products, the more of a headache I have had. 

At first  after reading the article- I thought of rough theater as more of a physical place of viewing a film or performance- this place probably being a smidge gritty, sometimes quit and comfortable, at others loud and out of any one persons control, and of course always a little rough around the edges. However, after having it read a loud to me in class, I realized I was only half right- Rough theater is all that and more- it's learning how to let go of the structured formulas of "popular" theater, allowing the medium to flow naturally- improving- allowing creativity to take over and not getting hung up on details- being hard-headed and anal, is a massive creativity suck-

All of our projects in some way have been a little taste of rough theater, the "roughest" was our 16mm film manipulation project, try completely controlling bleach, ink and oil as it drips down the film strip! I was- forced isn't quite the word- during this project to let go, have fun with the process, and experiment. Once I did this- relaxed that is- I started tilting the film strips to further allow whatever liquid was on there to swish around the project took a new shape for me. I allowed each medium take it's own natural state and express itself, it was truly freeing. I was using colors and lines as expressive tones, and thinking in a new way-Visual stimulation-  Exhilarating. 

rough theater-  let each medium used truly show itself- control- at least complete control- is overrated- relax- experiment! 


No comments:

Post a Comment