Monday, April 11, 2016

Bolex long take

Filming using the Bolex camera was interesting, we planed, staged, cranked and shot. Even though we practiced and were warned about the time restraint, our timing ended up being a little off. Luckily, the main pop of the action (the guitar smashing!) was caught mere seconds before the camera turned off, so although our film did not end up being exactly as planed it was indeed a success!
The exposure, and filming was very different than a digital camera. The Bolex needs much more light for exposure, and developing the film stock, and seeing the images/ film stock turn from clear to black was thrilling - seeing the film come to life right in front of my eyes. When we projected the footage it was also fun to see how it looked in its negative form. The whole process went a little differently than expected, I am happy with the footage we captured. I am so glad I am now versed in operating a Bolex, and exposing the film, I hope to shoot using one again!  Now that I have a better understanding of the process it would be interesting to see the results of a newly planed long take.

No comments:

Post a Comment